The City of Moncton’s events division operates under the brand Moncton Live En Direct (MLED) and is a key division of the City of Moncton’s Economic Development and Events Department. The MLED team works with community groups and event organizers who want to expand the city’s already bursting entertainment portfolio.
MLED creates, hosts, supports, and promotes a wide variety of events and festivals in various indoor and outdoor venues throughout the City of Moncton. Key examples include:
- Made in Moncton – Produced by the City
Examples: Canada Day, Acoustica Summer Concert Series.
- Made for Moncton – Hosted by the City
Examples: Ford World Men’s Curling, IAAF World Junior Track and Field Championships, Memorial Cup, CFL Games and Touchdown Atlantic Festival, Uteck Bowl, H.O.G. Rally.
- Made possible by Moncton – Supported by the City
Examples: Frye Festival, Magnetic Hill Music Festival, Legs for Literacy, Atlantic Nationals Automotive Extravaganza, FICFA, Mosaïq Multicultural Festival, MotoMoncton, Acadie Rock.
- Made known in Moncton – Promoted by the City
Examples: MLED marketing programs are not event-specific. They either group together events of a similar scope (i.e. festivals billboard program), or encompass a wide range of events (i.e. Summer Sizzle calendar and banner program).
The City of Moncton’s MLED team strives to meet the following event planning objectives:
- Accessibility: Promoting free and accessible celebrations to residents and visitors.
- Diversity: Developing and supporting events that appeal to a broad range of demographics (all ages—children, adults, seniors; our two main linguistic communities; Moncton’s many ethno-cultural communities; special populations, etc.).
- Community Engagement: Working with a variety of partners to produce and present quality events.
- Responsible Planning: Planning efficiently and spending responsibly. Promoting same with event organizers, to keep costs minimal.
- Sustainability: Promoting the diversification of funding sources to ensure the long-term sustainability of events and festivals.
- Accountability: Conducting thorough evaluation and reporting of events, once completed, to ensure that event objectives were achieved.
Key Functions and Services
Services offered by the events division (including but not limited to):
- Community event planning: MLED staff can assist community groups with event planning, and offer support through event services. Link
- Event Zones: A variety of event zones have been created throughout the city to serve as ‘plug and play’ zones for community and major events. Link
- Event grants: Analyze event grant applications for one-time, non-recurring events at the regional, national and international level(s). Link
- Sponsorship: Evaluation of event support on an ongoing basis. Link
- Marketing and Promotion programs