> Home > Government > Media Room > News Releases > Cause of rooming house fire determined

Cause of rooming house fire determined


June 3, 2016

MONCTON – The Moncton Fire Department has completed its investigation into the rooming house fire that took place on June 1, at 30 Lockhart Avenue. While the origin of the fire was identified to be in one of the residents’ bedroom, the cause of the fire is being classified as “Accidental”, due to improper use of a vaping cigarette.  

It should be noted that residents and staff were able to safely evacuate the property, thanks to the installation of adequate early detection devices, having a fire safety plan in place, and practicing regular fire drills.  The diligence of caring and safety-conscious property owners was critical in the positive outcome with no injuries.

-30-

Information:

Charles LeBlanc
Fire Prevention Division Chief 
K-9 Officer 
Moncton Fire Department
Direct | 506-856-4324
charles.leblanc@moncton.ca