The Order of Moncton
The Order of Moncton is the highest honour of the City of Moncton. The object of this award is to recognize individuals who have demonstrated excellence and achievement and who have made outstanding contributions to the social, cultural or economic wellbeing of Moncton and its residents. A maximum of three individuals will be chosen annually.
- Any Canadian citizen who is a present or former long-term resident of Moncton is eligible for nomination to The Order of Moncton.
- Individuals who have contributed significantly to the social, cultural and / or economic well-being of Moncton and its residents by demonstrating excellence and achievement in a given area.
- Any individual who has brought honour or distinction to Moncton on a national or international level.
Elected representatives presently serving on Moncton City Council, the Provincial Legislature, the House of Commons, the Senate, and judges of any court are not eligible for nomination.
Anyone may nominate an individual who meets the above criteria. Nominations must be accompanied by two letters of support from individuals other than the nominator.
Recipients are chosen by the Order of Moncton Advisory Committee who will recommend the appointment of members to the Order each year, after careful consideration of all nominations. Nominees not chosen in a given year may be nominated in subsequent years.
1) Mayor of Moncton, Chair
2) Mayor appoints two members of City Council
3) City Manager
4) A citizen of Moncton appointed by the Mayor
5) Staff support as required
The Order of Moncton will be conferred in a special ceremony in the fall. This event will feature performances by artists from the Moncton area and will be followed by a reception. Recipients will be presented with a commemorative gift and a certificate of honour, by His Worship, the Mayor of Moncton.
The deadline for 2016 nominations of the Order of Moncton is September 12, 2016.