Recreation Master Plan
Quick Facts about Moncton’s Recreation Master Plan
- Adopted by City Council in 2008
- The plan includes both existing parks and future park development
- Includes recommendations for improvements to parks as identified from public consultations
- Aims to provide a park or green space to every resident within a 5 to 10 minute walking distance
- Aims to provide a regional park to every resident within a 10 to 15 minute walking distance
- Capital budget funds have been allocated annually since 2011 for the implementation of the plan
- By the end of 2017, there will be 37 park upgrades or new development since 2011
- There are 21 playgrounds with water features throughout the city
…Successful public spaces are safe, fun, charming and welcoming
Find a park on the playground locator map!
To report a maintenance concern, fill in this form or call our 24/7 dispatch at 506-859-2643.
How parks are designed
Parks and public spaces are for everyone. They are the places where people from all ages and walks of life can enjoy the outdoors. The key to building successful spaces is obtained when arranging elements in a way that greatly increases the chances of activity occurring around them. When such elements are arranged closely together, the placement becomes a destination and a place that attracts desirable activity.
It is important that spaces be designed in a way that encourages healthy activities and discourage unhealthy ones. This can be accomplished by means of ensuring sight lines into the space remain open and by placing activities close to places where it can be seen by the public.
Climate change and global warming have had significant impacts on space design. It has become increasingly important to provide shade for young children and the elderly, through the inclusion of shade shelters and shade trees in order to provide relief from the heat and UV rays.
We want to hear from you!
These parks will be renovated in 2017, after the public consultation.
Click on the park name for more details and to submit your comments. Your feedback is much appreciated!
|90 Candlewood Drive||Consultation coming soon|
|16 Community Avenue||Consultation coming soon|
These parks will be renovated in 2017:
|175 Park Street||Consultation complete|
|96 Lewis Street||Consultation complete|
|111 Fairview Knoll Drive||Consultation complete|
|39 Ripplewood Road||Consultation complete|
|115 Maplehurst Drive||Consultation complete|
The following parks have been completed as part of the Recreation Master Plan implementation:220 Barrieau
48 Monte Carlo
...In order to create successful public spaces it is important to tap into the ideas and talents of the community to decide what will be done to improve an existing space.
firstname.lastname@example.org or 506-383-6223