Street and Trail Name Bank
The City of Moncton has updated its Naming Policy for Streets, Trails and Civic Facilities. Highlights include:
- Public safety is of utmost importance.
- Special attention is given to names that reflect the nature and heritage of our community.
- In most cases, street and/or trail names will need to be taken from the Name Bank.
- Special attention will also be placed on the linguistic nature of the Names selected – staff will work with the development community to ensure an overall ratio of 45% English names, 45% French names and 10% other, to be achieved going forward on a yearly basis.
Any names selected from the list must be confirmed for usage by the Urban Planning Department prior to including them on a Tentative Subdivision Plan.
Name Bank Submissions
Have an idea for a street and/or trail name? Review the following criteria and submit yours today!
Proposed name must fall under at least one of the following categories to be considered:
- A name to honour a noteworthy person associated with the history of the City of Moncton or who made a significant contribution to the City of Moncton.
- A name to honour Monctonians that served in the Canadian military.
- A name (person, place or thing) that has cultural and/or historical significance to Moncton, New Brunswick or Canada.
- A name that recognizes the wildlife, flora, fauna or natural features of Moncton and New Brunswick.
- A name which celebrates and/or is unique to a particular location or part of the city.
Note: Names of living persons shall only be used in exceptional circumstances.
Ensure that the proposed name is:
- unique (note that we cannot chose a name that already exists in Dieppe or Riverview);
- not commercial in nature;
- not derogatory or offensive in nature;
- does not exceed 20 characters (including prefix/suffix and spaces in between letters) Example: Rue_Highfield_St = 16 characters; Boul_Highfield_Blvd = 19 characters;
- spelled with all applicable accents, and;
- no names shall be similar sounding to existing street or trail names.
Finally, once you have selected a name (or several) that respects all the criteria, please complete the online submission form to submit your ideas.