Tap water is my water!
Through our land use and services, municipalities have a large influence on our citizens’ health, lifestyle, and quality of life, not to mention the environment. In this regard, making tap water accessible to the population can be highly beneficial not only for the health and quality of life of citizens, but also in terms of waste reduction, sensible resource management, and the promotion of municipal water, among other things.
In Canada, the quality and safety of tap water is primarily a provincial/territorial or municipal responsibility. There are also federal guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality which set Maximum Allowable Concentrations of microbiological, chemical and radiological substances found in water that are known or thought to be harmful to human health.
Municipal tap water is regulated by the The Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality established by the Federal-Provincial-Territorial Committee on Drinking Water and requires cities to filter and disinfect it according to strict standards according to the New Brunswick Clean Water Act. Tap water goes through a rigorous process of cleaning, filtering and testing (Health Canada, 2015).
One of the main advantages of tap water is that it uses no packaging, so no effect on the environment.
The City of Moncton uses the “multi-barrier approach” to drinking water management: This involves protecting the reservoir’s source water within the Turtle Creek Watershed, before heading to the City of Moncton’s water treatment plant. Here it undergoes a rigorous process of cleaning, filtering and testing to eliminate possible contaminants before being pumped to our residents’ taps.
Businesses: Show your support for your local tap water!
Local businesses are invited to participate by placing this decal in their store front window, thus inviting people in to refill their water bottle for free.
- More customer traffic in your business.
- Increased visibility amongst those who see the importance of water and water access.
- Environmental stewardship.
- Tap water is inexpensive, good for your health and a wise choice to reduce waste and protect the environment.
- Your business will be identified as a location where you can refill your water bottle for free. Showing your part and support for our communities’ tap water.
- Increased networking of your business as it will be posted on bluew.org.
- You can add community-minded to your company’s brand by taking action on water accessibility, and proud environmental steward by helping to reduce plastic bottle waste.