Earth Day is an annual event on April 22 to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
Earth Day Booth
Our Environment team will be at the Moncton Market from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on April 22 to teach you all about greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Learn more about the biggest sources of GHG emissions and how you can reduce your carbon footprint.
How low can you go?
Here are some ways to reduce your greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
25% of your GHG's come from driving a vehicle.
13% of your GHG's come from heating and cooling your home.
10% of your GHG's come from eating meat and fish.
- Eat less meat, and more vegetable protein like beans, lentils and nuts
- If you do eat meat, choose lower-carbon meats like poultry, pork or fish instead of beef and lamb
- Avoid fragile, out-of-season foods that are transported by airplane
- Whatever you buy, eat it all! Households waste 8% of all food produced in Canada.
7% of your GHG's come from air travel.
- Take the train or the bus for short trips.
- Take direct flights wherever possible.
- Take vacations closer to home. (The Maritimes are kind of awesome!)
18% of your GHG's are from consumer goods, and over a third of that is from clothing.
- Avoid "fast fashion." Buy good-quality clothes that will last.
- Buy second-hand rather than new.
- Mend and repair existing items.