Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about the Zoo? Make the most of your visit by finding the answers here. 

Can I bring my pet to the Zoo?

No, pets are not permitted inside the Zoo.  There are three outdoor kennels available on a first come, first served basis; to be used as your own risk; and when the weather permits. Service dogs are permitted inside the Zoo. Handlers will be asked to provide service identification, an identifiable harness, and the ability to ensure the dog will be well behaved and will not put other animals or visitors at risk.

Can I volunteer at the zoo, and if I do, can I play with the animals?

We have a group of very dedicated volunteers at our zoo called the Friends of the Zoo. The mandate of the Friends is to raise money for the betterment of animal habitats at the Zoo. To volunteer, you must be 18 years of age or older.Please see the Friends of the Zoo webpage for more information about volunteering.

What do you do with all the animals in the wintertime?

Although many of the animals that live in the Zoo are native to tropical areas of the world, these animals are housed in climate controlled facilities at the Zoo that meet their basic needs. Many animals that people would think would not do well in New Brunswick winters adapt very well to our climate. Lions, for instance, require no heat whatsoever as they adapt to our cold temperatures very well compared to many primates need indoor, heated enclosures with outside access on sunny winter days.

I want to pursue a career as a zookeeper - what do I do?

First of all, please be aware that zookeeping is very specialized and that there are limited opportunities in this field. To put it into perspective, there are more teaching positions in the Moncton’s public schools than there are zookeeping positions in all of Canada. However, if you are determined to enter this field, you will have to enter a science-related course in university such as biology, zoology, animal science or a specialized course in zoo and aquarium technology. In addition to this, you should strive to find work in a zoo or volunteer at a zoo in your area so that you can gain valuable experience.

What is the most dangerous animal in your zoo?

We have a number of animals in our zoo that we consider to be potentially dangerous. These animals are ones that could threaten the life of those that work with them if certain procedures and precautions are not followed. Animals that fall into this category are referred to as code heavyweight animals and include lions, jaguars, cougars, and large hoofed stock in rut.

How long does it take to go through the zoo?

You should allow yourself at least 90 minutes to go through the Zoo. If you wish to be more leisurely you can spend 3-4 hours at the Zoo. The Zoo is designed in such a way that you can visit part of it during one visit and then come back to do another section on another day if you wish.

What do I do if I find an injured animal or bird near my house?

Wildlife Injuries: If you come upon an injured indigenous animal or bird within the Province of New Brunswick, you may contact the Department of Natural Resources at 506-856-2344.

Maritime Atlantic Wildlife is located near Sackville, New Brunswick, and specializes in the rehabilitation and reintegration of indigenous wildlife species all over Atlantic Canada. They may be contacted at 506-364-1902. Pam and Barry are always available to come and pick up injured animals and provide medical attention, as well as, an environment for recovery and reintegration to the wild for most indigenous creatures in this area. Please leave a message on their answering machine and they will call you back to make arrangements for pick up of the injured species.

What do I do if I have an indigenous animal, such as a raccoon, in my yard that is becoming “overly friendly”?

Some wildlife species are known to become pesty neighbours to their human friends. If you have concerns about rabies, roaming coyotes, raccoons, skunks, or what may appear to be an “overly friendly” indigenous animal in your neighborhood, call the Department of Natural Resources at 506-856-2344. They will advise you appropriately, and provide help for you and address your concerns.

Do you accept unwanted pets such as rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, rats, chinchillas, turtles, snakes, lizards, etc?

On rare occasions, the Zoo will accept unwanted pets if the animal is in good health, is handle-able, and the Zoo is in need of that type of handle-able animal. Please email to make a request. Otherwise, please contact your local SPCA.