Magnetic Hill Zoo’s Re-opening Plan
We are taking extra precautions for the safety of our visitors, staff and animals. You can expect your visit to be different than previous years. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we adapt to our new normal. Please read the following information to plan your visit accordingly.
Hours, tickets, and daily arrival sessions
- The Zoo is open from 10 am to 5 pm daily with the last admission at 5 pm. All guests must exit by 6:30 pm.
- A limited number of tickets are available during three arrival sessions each day: 10 am – 12 pm, 12 pm – 2 pm, and 2 pm – 5 pm.
- Visitors can arrive anytime during their booked session. These sessions are to ensure staggered arrivals and your visit to the Zoo is not limited to the two hour block.
- Visitors are strongly encouraged to purchase their tickets online to guarantee their date and session time. Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Visitors may purchase their tickets upon arrival if the tickets for the current session have not been sold out.
Preparing for your visit
- Do not visit the Zoo:
- If you have travelled outside of the Atlantic provinces within the last 14 days,
- If you have been in contact with anyone sick with COVID-19 within the last 14 days,
- If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms,
- If you have had contact with someone who is presently being tested for COVID-19.
- Bring your own stroller or wagon from home. Wheelchairs and mobility carts will be available.
- Bring your own snacks from home.
- Cash will not be accepted. If you are purchasing tickets on-site, you will need to complete the transaction with debit or credit.
- You will have the option of walking a 0.8 km loop or a 2 km loop. The map of the modified one-way trail is available online here.
Arriving at the Zoo
- Visitors with pre-purchased tickets, including memberships and complimentary tickets, will enter through the side gate of the Entrance building.
- Memberships purchased for 2020 will be honoured until June 9, 2021. No new memberships will be sold for the remainder of 2020.
- Complimentary tickets will be accepted.
- Visitors purchasing tickets on-site will enter the main doors of the Entrance building. The individual who is paying for the household unit will approach the ticket window while other members of the household unit will wait in a designated waiting spot a few feet away. Contact information will be collected for contact tracing purposes.
- The Zoo will maintain a significantly reduced occupancy level to allow for physical distancing. This may result in wait times at points of entry during peak visitation.
Services and attractions
- Outdoor areas of the Zoo will be open.
- Visitors have the option to walk the:
- Full loop of the zoo (2 km) which includes: Africa, Discovery, Asia, and Americas sections or
- Half loop (0.8 km) which includes: Discovery, Asia, and Americas sections.
- Buildings will be open with modifications and measures in place to manage capacity. This includes:
- Gift boutique
- Container (insect house)
- The following services / experiences are also closed until further notice:
- Pony rides
- Animal contact areas for the deer
- Hot food service and snack canteen
- Washrooms in the Entrance building
- Portable washrooms and hand wash stations will be available in the parking lot.
- Washrooms in the African and Discovery sections will be open and sanitized twice daily.
Health and safety measures
- The following items have been installed to encourage physical distancing:
- Signage and floor markers,
- One-way signs to direct pedestrian traffic on pathways,
- Signage to encourage proper hygiene,
- Hand washing stations at the Entrance building,
- Enhanced cleaning procedures for high-contact surfaces.
- Visitors are expected to:
- Respect all safety barriers and signage,
- Follow the one-way walking paths,
- Avoid touching railings and exhibit surfaces,
- Practice social distancing,
- Practice good personal hygiene,
- Follow New Brunswick Public Health guidelines.
- Staff and volunteers have been trained and are expected to follow all New Brunswick Public Health guidelines.