Magnetic Hill Zoo’s Re-opening Plan
We are taking extra precautions for the safety of our visitors, staff and animals. You can expect your visit to be different than previous years. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we adapt to our new normal. Please read the following information to plan your visit accordingly.
Preparing for your visit
- Do not visit the Zoo:
- If you have travelled outside of the Atlantic provinces within the last 14 days,
- If you have been in contact with anyone sick with COVID-19 within the last 14 days,
- If you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms,
- If you have had contact with someone who is presently being tested for COVID-19.
- Wearing a mask is mandatory. Exceptions apply for children 2 years of age and under. Individuals who are unable to wear a face mask due to a medical condition must wear a face shield. Please bring your own mask or face shield from home.
- Bring your own stroller or wagon from home. Wheelchairs and mobility carts will be available.
- Bring your own snacks from home.
- You will have the option of walking a 0.8 km loop or a 2 km loop. The map of the modified one-way trail is available online here.
Arriving at the Zoo
- Visitors with pre-purchased tickets, including memberships and complimentary tickets, will enter through the side gate of the Entrance building.
- Memberships purchased for 2020 will be honoured until June 9, 2021. No new memberships will be sold for the remainder of 2020.
- Complimentary tickets will be accepted.
- The Zoo will maintain a significantly reduced occupancy level to allow for physical distancing. This may result in wait times at points of entry during peak visitation.
Services and attractions
- Outdoor areas of the Zoo will be open.
- Visitors have the option to walk the:
- Full loop of the zoo (2 km) which includes: Africa, Discovery, Asia, and Americas sections or
- Half loop (0.8 km) which includes: Discovery, Asia, and Americas sections.
- Buildings will be open with modifications and measures in place to manage capacity. This includes:
- Gift boutique
- The following services / experiences are also closed until further notice:
- Animal contact areas for the deer
- Hot food service and snack canteen
- Washrooms in the Entrance building
- Portable washrooms and hand wash stations will be available in the parking lot.
- Washrooms in the African and Discovery sections will be open and sanitized twice daily.
Health and safety measures
- The following items have been installed to encourage physical distancing:
- Signage and floor markers,
- One-way signs to direct pedestrian traffic on pathways,
- Signage to encourage proper hygiene,
- Hand washing stations at the Entrance building,
- Enhanced cleaning procedures for high-contact surfaces.
- Visitors are expected to:
- Wear a mask,
- Respect all safety barriers and signage,
- Follow the one-way walking paths,
- Avoid touching railings and exhibit surfaces,
- Practice social distancing,
- Practice good personal hygiene,
- Follow New Brunswick Public Health guidelines.
- Staff and volunteers have been trained and are expected to follow all New Brunswick Public Health guidelines.