Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The City of Moncton is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in employment practices and services; reflecting the various communities we serve; and creating an inclusive and equitable workplace.
Inclusivity is one of the core values outlined in the City’s Strategic Plan.
The City’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Policy focuses on three key commitment areas:
- awareness and education
- employment and recruitment
- systemic and structural equity
An internal Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee, made up of staff from a variety of departments, meets regularly and has identified specific actions it will be implementing, including:
- reviewing internal and public-facing City documents for inclusive language
- promoting efforts to be representative of our community both internally and on City boards and committees
- increasing training for City employees on DEI and anti-racism
Report of the Commissioner on Systemic Racism
The City formed a partnership with Dr. Manju Varma, former New Brunswick Commissioner of Systemic Racism, in February 2022 to study different aspects of services that directly impact the lives of residents.
Dr. Varma presented her final report and recommendations to City Council in December 2022. Recommendations were made in the areas of municipal policy and planning, facility safety, human resources and training, recognition, reconciliation, and community.