Atlantic Slam Gets Ready for Moncton 2023-09-28
The City of Moncton, in partnership with On Ice Entertainment Inc. and Events Moncton, will be hosting Atlantic Slam, a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division 1 College Basketball tournament, from Nov. 16-19. The event will be the NCAA’s first-ever appearance in Atlantic Canada.
Legendary NCAA basketball coaches, including former UCLA head coach, Coach Jim Harrick, were in Moncton today for the announcements. Coach Harrick acknowledged the importance of the tournament for their players and teams and looks forward to sharing some knowledge with the local community through a coaching clinic.
"Success in basketball is built on a foundation of hard work, teamwork, and passion. I'm excited to impart these values to the aspiring athletes and coaches in Moncton," he says.
Moncton’s Deputy Mayor Shawn Crossman highlighted the importance for a city like Moncton to host a sanctioned event with the Big South.
“We are known for successfully welcoming some of the largest sporting organizations in the world. To be adding a NCAA Division 1 event to our list is phenomenal and a testament to the city’s commitment to large events,” he says. “This is a unique opportunity for the teams, but also an excellent opportunity for our community, especially our youth, to see some of the NBA’s future players. We couldn’t be more pleased and look forward to seeing the action on the court.”
Major Broadcaster Announced
Big South Commissioner Sherika A. Montgomery, the first woman to hold the position, shared her enthusiasm in partnering with Atlantic Slam to bring in top-tiered NCAA Division 1 talent to Canada and particularly to Moncton, where basketball is increasing in popularity amongst the youth.
She highlighted the partnership, stating, "Our collaboration with Atlantic Slam underlines a significant milestone for the sport with the NCAA’s first ever tournament in Atlantic Canada. Together, we're writing a new chapter in Atlantic Canada’s basketball story."
Montgomery announced an important partnership with ESPN+ for broadcast rights during the tournament. The partnership will allow games to be viewed across the United States throughout the tournament week.
Individual Tickets on Sale
Individual tickets for the tournament go on sale Saturday, Sept. 30 and tournament packages are still available. Visit atlanticslam.com for details.
Atlantic Slam 2023 Tournament Roster
Four Division 1 teams will take part in the inaugural tournament:
- Yale University Bulldogs, Connecticut
- Garner-Webb University Runnin’ Bulldogs, North Carolina
- Weber State University Wildcats, Utah
- Colgate University Raiders, New York
Other activities leading up to the tournament
- Atlantic Slam Coaches Clinic (Sept. 29 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.).
- Tangerine Norval McConnell 3on3 Basketball Tournament (Sept. 30)
For information on the teams and the tournament, visit atlanticslam.com.
- Atlantic Slam is owned and produced by On Ice Entertainment Ltd. in partnership with The Big South. NCAA basketball coach Jeff Dunlap provides the basketball expertise. On Ice Entertainment Ltd. has a long history of working with NHL and NBA clubs, international soccer teams from the Championship, and La Liga.
- NCAA – The National Collegiate Athletic Association is a non-profit organization that regulates student athletics among 1,100 schools in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
- D1 (short for Division 1) programs offer the highest level of competition between the NCAA's three divisions.
- There are currently 363 D1 schools across 49 states in the U.S.
- Big South Conference is sanctioning the event in Moncton.
- MTE (Multi-Team Event) Format is part of the NCAA’s pre-season tournament.
Communications, City of Moncton