Storms can wreak havoc, especially when you are not prepared for them. A power outages is one of the most common issues faced by Moncton residents.
During a power outage:
- Confirm whether the power outage is limited to your home or
neighbourhood. Then, report the power outage to NB Power,
online or by phone: 1.800.442.4424.
- If the power outage is caused by a downed tree, contact NB Power.
- Turn off tools, appliances, electronic equipment and turn your
thermostat(s) down to its minimum. A power surge once electricity
returns, can destroy electronics. Leave one light switch on, so
you know when power is restored.
- If you are on a septic system, remember your water and sewer
pump will not work without power.
- Keep your freezer door closed as frozen food can stay frozen
for 24 hours. You can also store food outdoors. If you are unsure
of the freshness of frozen food, don’t eat it.
- Do not use BBQs, generators or propane heaters indoors as
they are a carbon monoxide risk.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Ensure you have extra batteries for flashlights.