Bilingualism in Business
Moncton is committed to encouraging, promoting, and supporting the use of bilingual signage by local businesses.
Financial Incentives to Promote Bilingual Commercial Signage
The City of Moncton offers financial incentives to encourage business owners to use a bilingual format for their commercial signage. Your local clients will appreciate the effort, and it will provide visitors and tourists with a unique and authentic destination where our community’s linguistic reality can shine.
We offer the following grants:
- For existing unilingual signage, 65 per cent of the cost for the primary sign to be rendered bilingual, up to a maximum of $4,000, tax included.
- For newly established signage, 40 per cent of the cost of a bilingual primary sign, up to a maximum of $2,000, tax included.
We also offer a free in-window Open/Closed sign and a free window cling personalized business hours sign.
The grant program is offered to businesses and organizations located in Moncton and open to the public (ex. restaurants, beauty salons, retail stores, professional services). An application must be submitted.
The deadline to apply is Dec. 31, 2023.
Exception: Signs containing movable and interchangeable lettering are not eligible for the grant.
- The Bilingual Commercial Signage Grant Program is funded by the Association francophone des municipalités du N.-B. (AFMNB). This program is available on a first come first served basis until all funds are exhausted.
- The business must obtain a development permit by the City for the installation of a sign.
- The business must submit a minimum of two quotes from different vendors (signage making company).
- The business must send a mockup of the bilingual sign to the City of Moncton prior to sending to the vendor for printing. The City must approve the translation or offer alternative translation free of charge.
- The City approves one of the quotes and communicates with the client the final choice.
- The business gets the sign created/printed, paying for it in full, and has it installed.
- The business sends proof of installation (photo) and send final invoice to the City.
- The City processes the refund (Option 1 or 2) within 30 days of reception of the invoice and communicates updates to the business.
- To get a free in-window Open/Closed sign and/or a free window cling personalized hours of operation sign, please select that option when you fill out the application form.
For more information, please contact us at: email@example.com